Need to warm up this winter but don’t want to splurge on a 400 calorie hot chocolate or creamy frothy latte from Starbucks? Well here is a nice little compilation of some sweet and low-calorie hot drinks you can make just in time for the Christmas and winter holidays!
Homemade Light Eggnog
For me, the season isn’t complete without a nice mug of eggnog! It’s one of the treats I enjoy most during the holidays. Here’s a great recipe for you to try out:
– 3 cups of 1 percent milk
– One vanilla bean
– 2 eggs
– 1/3 cup sugar (You can also substitute for organic coconut sugar)
– 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
– Nutmeg or Pumpkin Pie Spice
– Heat up 2.5 cups of the milk in a medium sized saucepan. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and take out the seeds. Later add the seeds and the pod to the saucepan and simmer with the milk over medium heat.
– Whisk the eggs, sugar and the cornstarch in a large bowl until the mixture changes to a yellowish shade.
– Gradually pour the mixture of hot milk into the mixture of eggs and make sure to whisk the mix constantly (so that you don’t cook the eggs!). Pour the mixture back into the pan.
– Place once again over medium heat and constantly stir the mix with a spoon until the mixture of eggnog starts to thicken which will take around 6 minutes or so.
– Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the leftover 1/2 cup of milk to prevent the mixture from cooking more. Remove the vanilla bean leftover. Let the mixture cool and pour into a glass pitcher. Serve once it is chilled!
This recipe makes 7 servings of 1/2 cup each and there is only 106 calories per serving!
Healthy and Light Hot Cocoa
– 1 Cup of 1% Milk or Organic Coconut Milk
– 1 Cup Almond Milk
– 3 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
– half a teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
– 2 tablespoons of honey or stevia (or sugar if preferred)
– a pinch of cinnamon or chocolate powder
Heat both types of milk together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
Make sure the milk is heated and mixed well but do not burn the milk!
Slowly add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, honey/stevia and cinnamon. Whisk all the ingredients together well until the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and drink once warm.